Updated 5th July 2022
Selling a car is not always easy. The task is usually daunting, requiring effort and time to get the word out there. And there may not be a lot of people interested in buying a vehicle these days. It is even more challenging if you have no prior experience in selling your car in Western Australia.
In this blog, we will talk about the ways how you can sell a car. We’ll also help you choose the best option to sell a car for you and your situation. It’s possible to find the easiest way to sell a car once you know all the options.
The Best Options for Selling a Car
If you have an old car, here are the most common methods of finding a buyer and selling the vehicle:
1. Sell Your Car Privately
Private selling is often the go-to option of several car sellers. Here are the steps involved in selling your car privately:
- Get Your Car Valued – To decide how much to sell your car for, it may help to get a formal valuation done at a car-buying business or car dealership. This will give you a base price and a general idea of how much you can expect to sell your car. It also helps prevent you from being scammed if a buyer is trying to offer far less than your car is worth.
- Prepare Your Car – Listing your car for sale can take a while because you have to prepare it first. Then, you may have to contact a professional to have the car detailed and cleaned. It can cost you a couple of hundred dollars for the cleaning service. However, if you want to save money and clean the car yourself, you’ll need to invest a significant amount of time to get it ready.
Cleaning, however, is only easy at first glance. All the tight spaces and hard-to-get areas should be cleaned, including the engine bay and boot openings. You will also have to get rid of loose items, especially those lying around inside the car. These things can make your vehicle look untidy.
- Choose a Platform to List Your Car for Sale – First, you need to pick a platform where you can sell the vehicle. Often, advertising your car on more than one site will increase your chances of selling your car.
We recommend you post about the car for sale on your social media, such as Facebook Marketplace, Instagram, and Twitter. Other good websites to sell your car include Carsales and Gumtree.
- Create an Honest, Detailed Ad – To sell your car quickly, you’ll need a detailed ad that covers what car buyers want to know. Specify the vehicle’s make, model, condition, mileage, and service history. You may also want to list the advantages and disadvantages of the vehicle and any other relevant details.
- Take Good Photographs – Your ad should contain high-quality photos of the car. Early morning or late afternoon hours are often excellent times to showcase your vehicle. Include clear photos of all features and take pictures from different angles, along with pictures of any accessories included in the sale.
While it is not wrong to use filters or any editing job that will make your car look more attractive, use those effects minimally. Remember that you do not want to upset a potential buyer. Be truthful with your advertisement. Of course, you want to sell your car quickly, but it does not help to exaggerate its conditions and appearance.
- Write Up an Agreement – Once you find a buyer for your car, you’ll want to get the purchase agreement in writing. Although not legally required, a written purchase agreement can be helpful. It should include your name, contact information, vehicle description, registration number, purchase price, deposit amount, date of the agreement, buyer’s information, and payment method.
- Prepare for Formalities – Selling your car privately involves an extensive amount of preparation. Think the work is done once you find a buyer for your car? Not quite – now it’s time for the inspection, paperwork, transferring the title and registration, and all the other paperwork that comes with selling a car privately.
You’re required to contact the Department of Transport within one week of selling your car to avoid penalties. You’ll want to have the purchase agreement, proof of identification, receipt, owner’s manual, warranty, vehicle registration certificate, and other important documents ready.
2. Contact a Car Dealer
“How do I sell my car to a dealer?”
This is a common question since another option to sell a car in WA is to visit a dealer. It’s a quick process, which is why many people turn to dealerships to sell their cars. It’s as simple as taking your vehicle to a dealership and exchanging it for cash or even another car.
Another advantage of selling the car to a dealer is that you never have to worry about formalities, including safety certificates and repair payments. If you sell privately, you will have to do some paperwork to finalise the transaction. With a dealer, you sell the car, get your cash, and leave.
Sound like the easiest way to sell a car? Bear in mind that dealers will not give you a lot of money for your vehicle. The same goes for trading in your car. The dealer knows that you are in a rush and will give you a bargain price for your vehicle.
However, if you simply want to sell a car as fast as possible, you can try selling to a car dealer. If you have made up your mind about selling your car to a dealership, make sure that it is the same manufacturer as your vehicle. For example, you should go to a Ford dealership if you want a better deal for your Ford car.
3. Join an Auction
If you have a used car sitting in your garage, you have the option to take it to an auction for profit. Auctions are recommended for those with vehicles that still require a little bit of work to become saleable.
Before you join an auction to sell your vehicle, you should first determine your answers to the following questions:
- Are you willing to settle for a lower price for your car?
- Are you comfortable with the fees and commissions charged by the auction house?
- Are you in a hurry to sell your car and don’t want to advertise or deal with unsure buyers?
- Is it likely that your vehicle will not pass a safety certificate inspection?
Although selling your car at an auction puts your vehicle in front of buyers without you having to interact with them and allows you to set a reserve price, auctions can be very unpredictable. Once that hammer falls, the sale price is set and you’ll have to walk away with that amount – whether you are happy with it or not.
The auction fees will depend on the auction house, so be sure to ask about the possible charges before you commit. That way, you can decide if auctions are what you are looking for.
The Top Choice for Selling Your Car In WA
Looking for the easiest way to sell a car? Selling a car privately, selling a car to a dealer, or joining an auction are the most common ways to sell a car. However, if you want the least hassle, most competitive pricing, and most straightforward method, we highly recommend that you sell it to a car buying service like We Want Your Car WA. It’s the most profitable and fastest way to sell your car.
Perth’s Premier Car Buying Service
The online market has become the best avenue to get excellent rates for car sellers. While the online market has become a popular platform for selling a car fast, it involves a significant amount of time and effort. Forget about advertising and talking to several people who have plenty of questions but are not genuinely interested in buying. You will not deal with time-wasters when you sell your car to a car buying service like We Want Your Car WA. All you need to do is contact the buyer to get a quote after providing the details of your vehicle.
In some instances, you will not receive a quote, but you will arrange a schedule so the buyer can look at your car. It should only take about 20 minutes to an hour to inspect the vehicle. Once it’s all done, you will get a quote, and you can either agree or disagree with the offer. If you do agree, you can walk away with cash. Sometimes, you have to wait up to 24 hours to get your payment. Nevertheless, it’s super quick and easy. You get rid of your car, and you receive your cash in just a few steps.
How to Sell a Car Fast with our Car Buying Service
Our car buying process is honest, straightforward, and hassle-free. In just four steps, we can get your car sold — and cash in your hand.
- It all starts with you completing the “Get a Quote” form on our site and giving us the details of your car. In just 10 to 15 minutes, you can give us all the information we need to get you a fast and free quote.
- Once we receive your request for a free quote, we’ll meet you at a site that works with your schedule and have a team of professionals evaluate and assess your car.
- After completing the assessment, we’ll give you a fair quote.
- If you agree with the quote, we’ll process the payment the same day and take care of all the details, from inspection to paperwork to registration to transfer. At We Want Your Car WA, we do all the work, so you don’t have to. All you need to do is to accept our offer if you’re happy with it.
Are you ready to sell your car in Western Australia? Contact We Want Your Car WA, and we’ll buy the vehicle directly from you! If you want to know more about how to sell a car or how our service works, please feel free to reach out to us – we’d be happy to answer all of your questions.